Working with serial devices and apps can be difficult if you rely on modern computers, as many are not equipped with COM ports. This is despite the fact that industrial automation systems, medical equipment, POS installations, and many others make use of serial communication.
Virtual Serial Port Driver is a serial communication tool that solves the problem of a lack of COM interfaces. The professional-grade utility enables you to create virtual serial ports that fully emulate a hardware interface. An unlimited number of virtual ports can be created giving you the ability to connect to serial devices from multiple applications simultaneously.
Virtual Serial Port Driver Key Capabilities
- Virtual Serial Port Driver enables full customization of serial port parameters and lets you create different kinds of COM port bundles. The application effectively manages your system’s physical and virtual serial ports. Here are some of the things you can do with this software tool.
- Users can create an unlimited number of virtual serial port pairs that can be used for data transfer through virtual null-modem cables.
- You can redirect serial port traffic from any physical or virtual COM interface.
- Splitting serial ports is another feature of Virtual Serial Port Driver. This allows a one-to-many architecture enabling serial data to be used by multiple applications simultaneously.
- You can also join multiple hardware serial ports into a single virtual one. Data sent to the joined ports is duplicated to the virtual port.
- Serial ports can be merged to implement bundles of real or virtual ports that can all communicate with each other. Data sent to one of the merged ports is replicated to the rest of the ports that make up the bundle.
- Virtual Serial Port Driver has a port switching feature that allows you to add physical interfaces to a bundle and connect it to on virtual port. A switcher in a serial application enables the app to access all of the real ports through the virtual port. This lets your program make use of any free physical interface that is available while seeing it as the same port.
- Data can easily be shared among multiple applications at the same time when using Virtual Serial Port Driver. Any number of serial applications can be connected to a single interface and they can all send and receive data through the port. You can customize the permissions to restrict certain applications as well as the connection parameters such as stop bits and parity.
- Combining many of Virtual Serial Port Driver’s features allows you to work more productively and efficiently. Multiple serial ports can be connected on each end of a bundle, enabling complex communication options as data is redirected to and from the attached ports. Bundles can be created using a mixture of physical, virtual, and shared serial ports.
The key capabilities of Virtual Serial Port Driver include:
- Creating virtual serial port pairs;
- Combining multiple serial ports into a single virtual one;
- Splitting a single real port into multiple virtual interfaces;
- Allowing multiple serial apps to share a single physical port;
- Redirecting serial traffic from a physical interface to another virtual or real port;
- Automatic switching of joined physical ports through an application’s connection to a virtual interface;
- Merging multiple ports into a single bundle;
- Creating complex bundles of serial interfaces that are made up of multiple ports at both the INPUT and OUTPUT sides of the connection.
The advanced features supported by Virtual Serial Port Driver:
- Port bundles are automatically recreated after every system restart;
- Bundles can be created with any combination of physical and virtual ports;
- Fully emulate hardware control lines;
- An unlimited number of virtual serial ports can be created;
- Real-time creation and configuration of virtual serial interfaces;
- Exceptional all-in-one functionality with the ability to pair, split, join, merge, and redirect serial ports and their data streams;
- High-speed data transfer;
- Compatibility with HyperThreaded and multi-processor systems;
- Bidirectional data transfer for enhanced flexibility;
- Supports many different GPS devices and software applications;
- Full baud rate and flow control support;
- Easy installation with no reboot required;
- Customizable serial port connection parameters for real and virtual ports such as data bits, stop bits, and baud rate;
- Serial ports can be controlled from applications through dll functions with full 64-bit support;
- OEM projects can make use of software code samples for use in commercial products.
- All Windows 32-bit and 64-bit platforms:
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Windows 11
- Windows on ARM