What are the uses of Serial Port Terminal
RS232 terminals are useful in several different usage scenarios that involve serial ports and devices.
Individuals developing serial software applications or hardware drivers need the ability to monitor and log the data flow to test and debug their projects. A serial terminal is an essential tool for serial developers and testers.
Another situation where a serial terminal can be extremely useful is in industrial automation implementations. These types of systems are an example of distributed networks of serially-attached sensors that require their data to be monitored and analyzed. Performance monitoring of any network of serial devices and ports can be accomplished with the help of a serial terminal or emulator program.
Termite terminal for Windows
The Termite terminal program is a simple to use solution for Windows computers. Termite software can be installed on your machine or access from a read-only device. The Termite terminal provides an interface that is similar to the familiar chat screen for data entry and display. The Termite Windows software is free to use for personal and commercial use. Be advised that the Termite RS232 is distributed ‘as is’ and is used at your own risk.
Here is an overview of Termite terminal emulator’s features:
- An intuitive, user-friendly interface for simple interaction with serial devices and ports.
- The “Settings” button allows you to easily make configuration changes from within the interface. For example, you can point at a different serial port for monitoring purposes.
- The interface includes a reception window to display data and an edit line command and string transmission.
- The tool’s command history makes it easy to resubmit repetitive commands.
- Termite’s interface enables you to use plug-ins that can be used to add functionality to the application. Plug-ins can be employed for alternate data views or to add toolbars. You can modify the tool at will since it is an open-source solution.
- Our view of this software tool is that it can provide basic serial terminal functionality. It some cases, being able to run the program without installing it may make it a suitable solution for your needs.
- The software is copyrighted and free to use.
- Its open-source source nature makes it easy to extend its capabilities with plug-ins.
- The tool can be run with default settings without installation from read-only media.
- Only one serial port can be monitored at a time.
- Freeware does not provide technical support.
Advanced Serial Port Terminal
This Windows communication application is indispensable for developers and programmers who need to see how serial devices and programs are interacting. Advanced Serial Port Terminal enables data transmission to be logged and saved to files for later study and analysis. Let’s take a look at some of the features that make this an efficient and effective solution for working with serial devices and data.
Here is a list of Serial Port Terminal’s features:
- Port parameters can be changed on-the-fly without having to reopen the interface.
- Data can be saved to a file for further use.
- You can monitor an unlimited number of COM ports at one time.
- You can connect remote computers using the app and a null-modem cable.
- Switch viewing modes easily to view data in the best format for your needs.
- Configuration parameters can be saved for easy reuse.
- Sent and received data can be viewed in the ASCII/ANSI string, binary, octal, and hexadecimal formats.
- An Unlimited number of connections to physical and virtual serial ports can be created.
- The X-modem files transfer protocol is supported.
- ASCII files can be sent to remote computers.
- Multiple devices and serial interfaces can be monitored simultaneously.
- Data can be viewed in different formats to allow better analysis.
- Product updates and technical support are provided.
- This is commercial software that requires a financial investment.
- Installation on your computer is required to use the software.
Serial Port Terminal’s advanced features make it a superior solution for users who require a serial terminal emulator. Its selection of viewing options lets you see your data in whichever format you need. Monitoring multiple ports simultaneously makes this tool the best application for any but the most basic serial implementation. The tool is backed by the developers at Eltima Software with regular updates to maintain the software’s benefits.